24 June 2005

Shakespeare in the Park

Wow! Some experience.
Last night a bunch of us went to see the Free Will Players in Romeo and Juliet at Hawrelak Park in Edmonton with some of my family and some St. Alberta friends. I really enjoyed it, especially as I have not seen much live theatre. I guess that is a plus of living near a large city. They sure did a wonderful job, although I sure caught a lot more of Shakespeare's crudities than when I read it last. :-
The Free Will Players did something more modern than the usual period costuming and sets. The set was a series of gray metal steps, ladders, and levels, with the requisite balcony. The only colour on the set was in the large red stained-glass window type banners. And the costumes were rather startling. All the Montagues dressed in white, and the Capulets in black, except for the heads of the families, and the ladies. I don't know exactly how to describe them, but I guess the closest would something like Chicago gangsters of the prohibition era. Anyway, Mr. Capulet and Mr. Montague each had very loud and glitzy suits, Mrs. Capulet wore a slinky green dress and turban, and Juliet looked like a very young girl in a short green and striped dress and long stockings. I think my favourite character was Juliet's nurse.
Now we have to go see Love's Labours Lost (I'll let someone else arrange that :-/ ).

2 comments:

Henners said...

I'm a someone else, and I can arrange it.. July 12th folks.. Another "pay what you will" performance, but no food that makes henry sick... (yeah, something in that food=not good for me). I hope the costumes are not as uh.. bad.

Untill LLL then!

-henners

Alyson Sunny said...

Yippeeees, I loved the nurse and the company!