28 July 2005

~My New Job~

Today was my first shift at Ricki’s/Bootlegger here in Spruce Grove. When I came in, the first thing my manager did was give me a run through of both stores. We started in Bootlegger. The target customer base for Bootlegger is guys and girls from age 16 to 25. It’s more casual, lets-go-party style stuff. She gave me a rundown on jeans styles and brand names and how to fit people. (I derived much amusement from her constant "Over here is our new line of wicked, wicked [Silver/Brody/Guess] jeans. I just love them – they are so awesome wicked!" What is with the word wicked anyway? I don’t think it used to mean that. Oh well, my manager is a very enthusiastic and convincing sell.)
Then she took me through the Ricki’s side, which is where she wants me to be based, as she thinks it’s more my style. Could be, I dunno. Hey, I haven’t even figured out what my style is. So I will be helping people mostly in the Ricki’s side, with some cross-over to Bootlegger. My manager went through the different styles in Ricki’s with me then. Ricki’s is geared towards the "working woman", age 22 to 30. They have three lines: Her Time – clothing for women when they are at home, playing with the kids or walking the dog (though I wouldn’t do either of those activities in some of the outfits); Every Day – what a woman could wear to the office every day, more like business casuals; and Professional – things like suits that are necessary for special professional occasions. (YAY – Now I know how to shop Ricki’s!)
Next my manager gave me a headset and a lanyard with a name tag. She explained how to use the radio and earpiece, which either falls off constantly or makes your ear ache. The idea is that then we don’t have to always be yelling across the store. I’m actually kind of glad to have it while I’m in training, as I can just press the button and say, "I’m lost – what do I do??!!"
She walked me through all the stuff in the back room, all the storage areas, alteration containers, manuals and bulletin boards, etc., and then we started on the associates handbook. I say started, because there was a sudden rush. So I got plunged into the middle of things right about then. It’s a good things I have frequented clothing stores before, or I would have been lost.
Altogether, it was a good first shift. My manager and the other girl on were both good to me and not too terribly strange. I think I’ll be ok there.
(Reading this post over, I realize it doesn’t have much appeal for my male readers (if any). Too bad then. *thumbs nose* :-D )

7 comments:

lilshortbread said...

*sniggle*
I'm glad you had a good experience. ;-)
teehee about how to shop.... didn't i already tell you that??? ;-) :-p X-D
And you are totally the rikis side.... michelle is sure smart :-) even if she over-uses wicked in a good sense.... X-D *chuckleS*

Emily said...

yeah. i think ur style is more ricki's too. now you can help us shop. and what makes u think many males read ur blog ? ?? :P :P :-D any who do prolly like it cuz it's you who says it. sounds like a good laura job to me. X-D

Henners said...

Wowsah, I sense some majour pokeage here.. tsk tsk.. I happen to enjoy shopping.. lol.. Its just that when I go, I usually know exactly what I want and am in and out. :-)

Cant say I know anything about either store, but from the description, sounds like Michelle has a good eye for job fit. I just cant see you saying to some 16 year old girls, "wow, you should see these new guess jeans, they are like amazing, and the like worn in look, totally wicked."

So to quote the little boy from the Incredibles: "That was totally wicked!"

cheerio,

Henners

Henners said...

wait a sec.. radio, earpiece? Laura Bond it is..

Alyson Sunny said...

sigh, Henry your weird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CraftyHourMom said...

i've been tellin him that for a bit already. but good weird :-D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.