26 January 2005

My Busy Life (ha!)

Emily and Jessica and I went with Alison and Fiona to an interdenominational prayer service at the Legislature in Edmonton on Saturday. It was supposed to be a non-media event, because it was about the whole gay marriage thing, which our government seems determined to push through. Ha ha. Try again. We saw camera crews from three different news networks there. The thing I hate is that they always seem to target the folks who have no clue what they’re talking about, or if they do, either have no logic whatsoever, or come across sounding like fanatics. The one guy interviewed a man wearing a large crucifix (I assume he was Catholic); on the back of his coat he had stapled a piece of paper with the symbols for male and female intertwined on it. Later I saw another crew talking to a bunch of kids who looked like they were maybe 15-19. I didn’t see the news that night, as we do not have TV, but they probably skewed it, and pasted little clips together to make us sound like lunatics. Anyway, the service was interesting, mostly led by charismatic preachers. There was a fair amount of singing, lots of prayers (through which people shouted, “Yessssssss!” frequently), and some responsive Psalm readings. All in all, it was different than we’re used to. But I know God hears the prayers of all His children, and it’s not necessary for me to be comfortable with their methods.

After that, we had lunch at Tim Horton’s in St. Albert, then went to West Edmonton Mall in the city. I guess Alison Fiona and I spent the most time at Tall Girl there. I love that store, don’t have to worry about things not being long enough for me! :-) Emily and Jessica, who would probably both swim in the clothing in that store, took off after a while to shop elsewhere. Then we went to Fabricland, where Emily got remnants for her Medieval project. After that, we wandered through the Mall, mostly looking around and people watching. They have a new sea lion act in the aquarium there, which replaces the dolphins they had until recently, so we watched for a bit. Finally, we brought the girls home, and then drove back to Neerlandia.

I forgot to mention, the roads were pretty nasty. We had had freezing rain, and then snow, so part of the highway was very treacherous. Alison and Fiona had been out the night before, and they said it would have been faster to skate home than drive. Hopefully the warm weather will last until all the ice is off the roads before freezing again.

I’ve been in bed all day, sick. All I can think of that could have made me sick is the cup of decaffeinated coffee I had last night. I have heard of people getting sick from caffeine, but decaf? Must be something else. X-S

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The thing I hate is that they always seem to target the folks who have no clue what they’re talking about, or if they do, either have no logic whatsoever, or come across sounding like fanatics"

I know exactly what you mean. The mdeia does seem to gravitate to the worst kind of representatives.
-Rita

lilshortbread said...

huzza! Laura posted a gooder.. ;-) :-D
It was a fun and interestign weekend eh? :-)
And btw, the CFRN crew did a really good report, did not make us look stupid fanatics at all :-D i was quite pleased. :-) But that was the only one i saw, so i can only imagien what A channel did... yeesh... :-p

Emily said...

the CFRN guy struck me in a better light than the other reporters ennyway - im not surprised he did a good report.