02 February 2005

biblestudy and beyond

This evening Mom and Emily and I went to ladies’ biblestudy. We are using a book called “Women of the Bible”, and this evening’s study was on Anna the prophetess. In the course of the evening, we got to talking about how hard it sometimes is to share the gospel, a problem Anna did not seem to have (Luke 2:38: “…she gave thanks to the Lord, and spoke of him to all those who looked for redemption in Israel”). One of the older ladies said, “I don’t have trouble sharing the gospel if the person I’m talking with gives me an opening, like they say, ‘I’m so unhappy,’ or something. But I just don’t want it to be like antlers on a hog.” I had to think about that one for a moment. Actually, I think everyone did. There was about a minute of silence, and then it hit us that what she meant by her unusual expression was “out of place”. Then we all began to chuckle.
Despite the wacky simile, what she said made a lot of sense. If we aggressively buttonhole perfect strangers and demand whether they know Christ (I read about a lady who was accosted thusly once), they will probably be turned off. At any rate, most people I have spoken to wouldn’t appreciate this type of witness.
Even when you speak gently at an appropriate moment, it doesn’t always work either. Mrs. Viersen, a wise older lady whom I have a lot of respect for, told us about an experience she had once when they went to sing in the seniors’ home. After they sing some hymns for the seniors, they always go around and shake their hands and talk to them. Mrs. Viersen was talking to one old lady who said she had really appreciated the singing. Mrs. Viersen asked her, “Do you know the Lord?” And the old lady snapped defensivly, “Who doesn’t?”

But then you have the flip side of the coin. As Mrs. Viersen also said, “If someone’s house were burning down and you were told to warn the person to get out quickly, you wouldn’t say, ‘Well, I really don’t like to give messages like that.’ You also wouldn’t go to the person and apologetically say, ‘You know, maybe you should think about coming out of there one day.’ You probably would run to the person as fast as you could, grab his or her sleeve, and say, ‘Quickly! Get out of there before you die!’ You might even apply some force if they don’t react immediately.” (Well, that is approximately what she said. I can’t remember it word for word. :-) )

I suppose there is a happy medium somewhere in between. And of course, we have to remember that it’s God who changes people’s hearts, not our witnessing expertise. I know that for myself, I am rather remiss with regard to speaking of the Lord; perhaps because we live in a community where everyone either goes to one of the three Reformed churches, or wants nothing to do with Christianity at all. Not the best circumstances for witnessing. I guess I’ll have more opportunities when I live in Spruce Grove and go to college. In the meantime, I’ll have to think about this subject a little, and stick with letting my light so shine that people may glorify my Father.

No comments: