23 February 2005

Hey there, everyone!
I got out of school half an hour early today because the computers wouldn't load the typing tutor we were supposed to use. Alison gets off work at 5:00, so I figured I'd go to the library and make use of one of the computers here.
My first day, Tuseday, was orientation. They split us into groups and got us to interview and then introduce each other first. Afterwards, we had a tour of the new campus. It is a one-storey building with about seven classrooms or so, a common room, and two bays that are still under construction. They're planning to have the one finished by May or thereabouts as a combination classroom/salon for the hairdressing class. They will work as apprentices from there. Apparently, they like to experiment on the students during lunch or breaks or after school, or so someone told me when they saw my hair.
Then we had a basic course on the proper way to take notes and study, which was very helpful to me.
The first five weeks of my class, the Legal Secretary Program, is basic English and Computer skills, so we are combined with the Medical Care Assistant Program (something like that). The classes together are about 20-25 women. They range in age from 18-over 40.
Today was our first regular day. I don't have my own wheels right now, because my car is still in the garage, so Mrs. Doige brought us yesterday. Today Alison and I drove in together. I dropped her off at work, and had just enough time to get to school. That was because I still have to figure out where you can make a left turn onto the divided highway. I ended up going down three streets before I found the right way. Also, the college is over the tracks, and students have been known to be late because of a train before. So they advised us to take about half an hour more than we might otherwise.
Anyway, today we had General Communications (English) in the morning, and Introduction to Microcomputers in the afternoon. The English was really basic, mostly stuff I already know, like parts of speech, so I was finished my exercise early. I picked up Alison and we took our lunch to Tim Hortons'. My lunch break was about an hour and a half long so it was nice not to have to rush.
My first official day of college was great. I think I was a little nervous yesterday before I went, but I'm glad it's starting out so simple. After five weeks, the classes will split, and we will go into stuff more specific to our courses.
So here I am now, at the library. I actually managed to find it myself, without getting lost (which my family will find impressive). It's so quiet here; I'm enjoying it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Laura! You are there. I'm excited for you!